Friday, January 30, 2015

Defining You

For some, doing or knowing what makes you happy may come easy, unlike myself. Yes, I find joy in the littlest of things in life and for the most part I'm an optimist, laughing often and living to entertain others. But there is a separate part of happiness in which I am focusing on. In fact, I think, just as love, happiness comes in many definitions. The happiness I am speaking of is the one that you find whithin yourself and what you do with it. It took me a long time to figure out what makes me tick. What drives me. This happiness is the spring that resides within the core of your being. Have you been able to tap into your inner spring and find what makes you the happiest, what motivates your soul and defines who you are? If not, what is holding you back?
 
 
 
Take time to do what makes your soul happy.
 
(This is one of my favorite pins found on Pinterest, in which I admit I am an addict to!!!)
 
 
I found myself trying to find happiness in ways I thought would create happiness, failing miserably afterwards. For instance, I am a spender. I find myself getting a quick high of that happiness while spending money, then the downward spiral afterwards because a lot of times it was money spent on invaluable items. When I sat down to write out my New Years resolution, it became more of a therapeutic purging session. I created realistic goals for myself that I had been putting off for years simply out of fear or anxiety of the unknown. I asked myself what makes me happy, looking at what trends I follow, the pattern of my habits, what captivates my attention....have you ever sat down with a pen and paper writing out a list of what you could envision yourself doing? Or creating "obstacles" to overcome so that you could reach certain goals? Have you ever asked yourself questions and answered them with honestly?
 
 
 
(My 2015 Resolution list)
 
 
 I noticed that when I started to analyze what I was most drawn to, it revolved around HOME. Creating an environment that makes my family and company feel a sense of welcome and warmth.  Yet it had to bestow little hints of the person I am. I love homes that display a persons personality. I noticed whenever I log onto Pinterest, that I was most drawn to DIY home projects, restore/renew, fabrics and the use of color combinations. Along the same lines of finding what excites me, I acknowledged the fact that I have always been drawn towards the art of writing. The play of words has always intrigued me and I have a thirst for knowledge. I remember owning a large red dictionary that I would enjoy flipping through and looking at all the words.....it was astonishing to me. I know that might be odd.....I couldn't agree more!! I still enjoy the smell of books and the feel of them in my hands. I am sure there must be someone out there that feels the same, or maybe I am alone on this, I admit to being a little neurotic. LOL! (can this be used in a blog???)  I truly love and enjoy writing. It makes me incredibly happy!! And that is why I am here!
 
 
Know thyself, and you'll know how to make yourself happy. I'm incredibly lucky to love what I do every day, and am constantly inspired by the people that I come into contact with in my work.
 
 
 I have struggled with the guilt (mostly mommy guilt) of doing anything that purely made myself happy if it took away time from my family. And this is why I had to write this post!! (I mean, really, just get to the point already, right?!) This past weekend my husband went on a guys retreat up north to enjoy some snowmobiling. I decided, hesitantly, to take upon myself a "little" DIY project.....I wanted to try using this "new" concept of chalk paint that I had stumbled upon in JoAnn Fabrics. So I decided to try it on our rather large hutch in my dining room. Mind you, this was my first time painting anything. And why was I a little reserved? Because I was going to tackle this project with my three year old son by my side rather than waiting to do it during his nap times....the thought of what could possibly take place has a way of controlling what I do. Unfortunately I am one of THOSE moms. I just need to LET GO of the control factor and roll with it. In which I did and discovered something that we both enjoyed doing together!! I fell in love with painting, we turned up some tunes and  Logan (my favorite little guy) had a blast collecting all the screws from the cabinets I had to dismantle in his bulldozer. It was one of my most treasured weekends by far!! I have always envied other mothers from blogs I have read in the past that have created a career out what they were passionate about  while involving their wee ones in there work environment. Who would have thought you can combine what makes your soul happy along with who make your entire being happy! Its not about separating the two. Its about combining the two. I would love to claim the same for myself and my family, because that would truly make my heart and soul the happiest.
 
 
 
 
The result after this project was a new found happiness to simply repurpose what you already own, creating something you love and taking pride in a job well done. Sometimes happiness is more about working towards it. Not about an instant high from quick gratification. Its not about penny pinching or being thrifty. Its the happiness that comes from being artistic and using that energy to create something beautiful that you can take claim to.
 
I challenge you to do the same. Write out a list, create obstacles, allow yourself to let go of what has been holding you back. Find that inner happiness. Because you being happy only spreads to other areas in your life, including those around you.
 
XO

No comments: